Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Creative Inspiration

crayons_creativity Have you ever thought that you just didn’t have enough time or energy or motivation to create more of your handmade art or craft, like you know you would like to? I have been aware that I needed to be creating more art to list on my Artfire site, so that my store didn’t become stale and boring.

Every time I thought about listing more of the items I already have in my stock (i.e. the oil paintings and fused glass art and jewelry), a lethargy took over me. I got bored and listless, and self-doubt tried to move in. Or, when I thought about creating new artwork, I would just shift stuff around in my art space, without really accomplishing much. It just wasn’t gelling. Has that ever happened to you?

I have been struggling with myself to figure out how to create some new and exciting stuff that would be fresh and enticing to prospective buyers. Not to mention, that it would be exciting to me, too, so I would feel inspired to create more every day. Nothing seemed to work until now.

paintbrush_and_paintToday when I thought about a topic for my post, I was happily down in my studio in the middle of creating a painting for a challenge I am participating in. When I signed up for it, I wondered why I was committing to it, when it seemed that I already had too many commitments for my time.

This one is different, however. It has the potential (and it is certainly delivering what I expected and MORE!!) to stir up my creative juices. The more I thought about it, the more excited I became. I haven’t felt this inspired for a long, long time. Just what I need, I thought, even if it means that my other projects might have to wait a little while longer, or the house perhaps isn’t as clean as I would like it to be, or dinner gets a little late some nights.

I couldn’t help myself. I joined the 100 in 100 Challenge, which is a commitment only to me, though I am publicly declaring that I am participating. It is something I am doing to get out of my stale mold, to inspire myself to see and try new things, to go beyond where I ever thought possible.

If you ever have felt stalled in your art, or needed new inspiration or ideas, to be able to move beyond your usual stuff that holds you back creatively, I encourage you to take a look. Even though it started a little over a week ago, it’s not too late to join in. You can catch up or extend your hundred days from whenever you start. It doesn’t matter. I started a few days late, too, and I am still able to get a lot out of this. Also, it is totally free to participate. No cost whatsoever!

Here it the first post where it is described. It is being run by Warrior Girl (Rowena) who creates unique “Flying Girl” paintings. What do you think? You can tailor it to whatever you want to create more of in your creative life. What if this is the one thing you can do to get out of your creative rut?

Come join me and others and have some fun!

Arlene
http://www.SpiritEssenceArt.com
http://www.SpiritEssenceArt.artfire.com

2 comments:

Jazzy Jemz said...

Excellent post. I know that I have entered a rut and keep putting off and putting off trying to get inspired. I hope you show us your inspired creations!

Creations With Heart said...

That really does sound like a challenge. Hmmm...should I try it? I wish you much success!
~Julie =)