In my behind the shop interview I mentioned that taking great pictures of your products was key to having a successful online business. Of course that is much easier said than done and something I still continue to struggle with. In this quest I have stumbled on many helpful online tips and tutorials that I thought I would share with everyone today. Most of these have to do with photographing jewelry since that is what I specialize in but I think most of the tips could apply to anyone.
Great resources for online photography tips:
1. DIY Lightbox tutorial - this is the one that I personally use and although I'm not 100% happy with it, it does work well. Some other tutorials I have came across that look good are from Digital Photography School, Strobist, and Creative Pro which covers more than just your basic cardboard box.
2. Rena Klingenberg also covers how to build your own lightbox but goes a step further by discussing backgrounds, lighting, and camera settings.
3. For those that don't have a camera or who are not confident in their picture taking abilities Bill Gallagher has an interesting article on scanning your products.
4. Marlize Kasselman shares her tips on photography and has some of the best tips I've seen regarding the settings on your camera.
5. Lastly, I stumbled across this article from Pure Beads last night. I haven't had the chance to read it thoroughly but from my skimming I think might be one of my best finds yet. The article goes into great depth about all aspects of photography including photo editing.
Here's a few items from our wonderful Artfire Cafemom Team who I think have done a wonderful job with their pictures.
Hope someone has found this information as helpful as I have and here's to taking great pictures.